Saturday 8 December 2012

A quick writing about some persistent thoughts

Today I thought that I will be trying hard to finish my work I am stuck in. However, could not resist writing a quick note about some realizations about some recent issues.

1. People really are unpredictable, intolerant

A recent experience. A man at a computer shop was chatting with me about one of his customers. He was a senior. He had some laptop repair works at his shop and he went back home to call him again, "look you have charged my money but you did not do anything. I can not even send any email!". well, all that was happening was he was being unable to connect to internet. But he just would not listen to the person at the shop and but kept complaining during their 45 minutes telephone conversation that they did nothing. Finally this guy had to say "thanks and sorry we can not offer you anything from now on" and hang up the call.

2. People from some continents love to fill up their plates and waste food


Well this I thought is a habit of some rich countrymen in my country. But alas, the picture is similar to many countries across the globe. Wasting food is luxury, ability to have more on the plate and sharing them with people is privilege. Therefore, if you, specially a girl, eats everything on her plate, you are not civilized enough! And that painful thing, stuffing the guests stomach and plate with food and food goes on back at home. It's bad. You are stuffing that person's stomach and making them fat. Eventually, it may cost their life from diabetes, hypertension etc. etc. I wish if I could make this understandable to my loving aunts, I have no doubt they keep doing this as I write this.

3. Some prejudice that I essentially thought is very endemic to my home-country persist everywhere! (not providing any details now)

4. Continuing a PhD is often considered as life by people. They forget that life does not consist of PhD or study stuff but it consists of some humane attitude as well. A PhD student is not a slave of the project and that is not only their project. People forget and yes they force you to work 20 hours a day like a slave and ask a woman with no car to carry 3 big suitcases and her bags after a week-long surveying in remote Australia  , leave her at the airport while driving away their luxurious roomy car saying "it's your project and you have funding. Why should I spend my private fuel for it!" And I think PhD students are well aware of that  CalTech letter.

5. Good people are around but the world suffer because good people are inert. Folks would you be more good from now on by acting when you see weirdness?

6. Upon meeting a person with a very high profile,  take some moments before you assume that the person will be of very good manners, understanding, or at least to the working class for being accepted as normal. Had a recent terrible experience in Canberra and before that in Perth.

7. My nearly 70 years' old neighbour. Say, "Good Old Jim". He  is a very good friend to us, two often "seeking help", "clueless about bikes" ladies. One night I met him on the street coming back in full mood, he was returning from Skyfall at 11 in the evening. As soon as he saw me he waved and said "oh it's so lovely to see you dear" in an unusual manner. And I replied "same here Jim what's up?". Then he kept asking me..
" how many blood groups are there? 5"..though incorrect, "
I said "yes"
"and how many races?religions?"
"probably countless"
"so why they keep fighting!! four people in the house and they do not even talk to each other. Somehow in the world at least through the blood groups we are related to each others...why ruining the good time we could have passed smiling together rather than fighting with each other?"
This is particularly true when you are in transition  and spending only a couple of months at a place for your job or study. Why people do that? We will never have any answer, alas! Had a chance to befriend a lady from Estonia, who was on her 3 months' work training in Perth. A very friendly, lovely person, but what she had to go through in her 3 months' stay is hard to digest. Lovely Estonia, never even heard of that countries name before I met her.

8. Swim, Snorkel, Cycle and Dance!!! Yeah......life would be the coolest!!


La la la....looking forward to a "New Year 2013 on two-wheels" and Life of Pi  first show in Australia!!!

"Come baby Come I'll take you for a swing!" :)



No comments:

Post a Comment